To help our patients achieve radiant skin, California Skin Institute providers offer a variety of treatments to get rid of acne scars. This is a vital step in acne treatment, because it eliminates reminders of previous breakouts, and can even prevent acne in the future. For example, it is not uncommon for patients to become so concerned with the appearance of acne scars that they begin to use too much makeup to cover up the blemishes and rough texture. This unfortunately leads to pore clogging and more breakouts in the future. By utilizing a their expertise and state-of-the-art technology to get rid of acne scars, California Skin Institute providers can help you achieve your aesthetic goals with minimal side effects or down-time.
How Acne Scars Form
When discussing acne scars, it’s important to keep in mind that this skin issue can come in many different forms. For example, some scars are characterized by strong pigmentation, while other scars physically alter the surface of the skin. Further, scars can vary widely in their severity.
The formation of acne scars is caused by several factors. In some cases, scar tissue forms due to prolonged breakouts which cause significant damage to the skin. In other situations, acne scars form due to improper acne extraction techniques.
Acne Scar Treatment
Before choosing the appropriate acne scar treatment in your situation, a California Skin Institute provider will first make a careful assessment of your skin. This is essential, because different types of scars call for different treatment options. Here are just some of the solutions used by California Skin Institute providers to help patients get rid of acne scars:
- Topical Treatments: For mild scarring, topical treatments may be a viable solution. In such cases, there are several options your provider may suggest. For example, a glycolic facial cream, an exfoliating scrub, or a glycolic cleanser, to name a few.
- Chemical Peels: Another option for patients fighting acne scars is a chemical peel to remove damaged skin cells and improve texture. California Skin Institute providers can create customized chemical peel treatments depending on the severity of the scars and the patient’s unique needs. For example, some patients may opt for a series of glycolic acid peels, while others may benefit from the more aggressive TCA peel to improve skin texture.
- Microdermabrasion: Here at California Skin Institute we work hard to bring the latest exfoliation technologies to our patients. This allows us to offer several distinctly different microdermabrasion treatments that can be custom-tailored to your needs. For example, if your skin can benefit from significant exfoliation, your provider may suggest crystal microdermabrasion to treat acne scars. In other cases, a DermaSweep microdermabrasion treatment may be more appropriate to achieve long-lasting acne scar treatment results.
- Laser Skin Resurfacing: For patients with severe hyperpigmentation, a laser skin resurfacing may be an appropriate treatment option. Although this treatment is more aggressive and requires more down time, it can yield dramatic improvements in pigmentation and texture.
- Dermal Fillers: Patients with very deep scars may benefit from special dermal fillers that can decrease the depth of skin indentations. One such dermal filler used by California Skin Institute providers is Bellafill; a dermal filler that uses bovine collagen and PMMA molecules to add volume and support under the skin. In addition to nearly-immediate effects, Bellafill is also long lasting, with results appearing for up to five years.
Although California Skin Institute routinely invests in cutting-edge technology and treatments, the true force behind our successful acne treatments are the providers who work in our practices. Our providers are highly experienced and receive ongoing training in the latest skin treatment techniques.
This deep knowledge and extensive hands-on expertise makes California Skin Institute providers highly adept at creating custom treatment options for our patients. For example, in some cases deep acne scars might first need to be “raised” with chemical peels, before laser skin resurfacing can be effective.
In other cases, a patient may have severe scarring but cannot take time off work for an aggressive procedure. In such situations our providers will work very hard to find the best custom solutions that account for a patient’s unique needs.
If you’d like to learn more about acne scar treatment options at California Skin Institute, please call a practice near you, or fill out the Contact Form below to set up your consultation!