Jowls or Weak Chin
Facial symmetry is a crucial aspect in our appearance. All of your facial features combine together to create the image of “you”; the individual that other people see. When it comes to the size of the chin or the development of jowls, even small changes can have staggering visual effects. This is because the bottom of your face needs to balance out the rest of the face, to create a proportional visual effect.
Here at California Skin Institute, we’ve helped many patients dealing with jowls or a weak chin. Our providers are experts when it comes to assessing facial structure and have worked with thousands of patients over the years to achieve aesthetically-pleasing results that look natural. Dr. Morganroth, our lead physician, has published book chapters and lectured around the country on local anesthesia chin implants and face lifts. If you’ve noticed the development of jowls or are unhappy with the size of your chin, please call a California Skin Institute practice near you, or schedule an appointment online now!
The Formation of Jowls
Jowls is an age-related problem that manifests itself as sagging skin around the jaw line. This happens for several reasons.
Firstly, some of the fatty tissue in the face will slowly migrate downward as we age. This occurs due to the constant pull of gravity on our bodies, and the weakening of support structures that keep this fat in place. Secondly, the skin on the face begins to sag due to the depletion of collagen, a vital protein fiber that keeps that skin tight and resilient.
There are several main treatment options currently available for jowls:
- Neck Liposuction: This treatment can be performed to remove excess fat in the area and target a double chin as well as jowls. After the fat is removed, the skin can also be tightened, to create a more youthful appearance.
- Laser Liposuction: Laser liposuction is similar to traditional liposuction in that it physically removes excess fat in the area by using a cannula. However, laser liposuction (like Sidelaze) involves the use of specialized lasers to break down the fat tissue before removal. Further, the laser can be pointed toward the skin, to create a tightening effect by stimulating collagen, without surgical skin tightening.
- Face Lift: Jowls can also be corrected during a face lift, for effects that are typically long-lasting and interplay with improvements in other areas of the face.
In many cases, a weak chin is the result of genetics (though injury may play a role in some cases). In some cases, the chin may also appear weak due to age-related depletion of facial tissue in the area and the loss of skin elasticity. Further, the appearance of jowls can alter the visible shape of the chin, thereby making it appear weaker.
To correct a weak chin, your California Skin Institute provider can use a variety of treatment options, including dermal fillers and chin implants:
- Dermal Fillers: In some cases, a weak chin can be enhanced through the selective use of dermal fillers. These injectables bring volume to the treatment area, and can even produce results that last for several years, depending on the filler used. Even a small increase in the size of the chin can produce dramatic results, by bringing more balance to the face.
- Chin Implants: When a weak chin is caused by hereditary factors, a chin implant may be a viable solution, with virtually permanent results. California Skin Institute providers only use implants made from high grade materials, so that the implant is unlikely to break or become rejected by the body. Further, because the implant is positioned directly onto the bone, you or anyone else touching your chin will only feel the skin and the natural tissues above the implant.
Scheduling Your Appointment
The first step toward correcting jowls or a weak chin is to schedule an appointment with one of our expert providers. To do this, please call a California Skin Institute practice near you, or fill out the Contact Form, below!