Acne scars and pigmentation can be a painful physical and emotional reminder of a stressful condition that we’d like to put behind us. For some individuals, lingering scars and marks continue to take a toll on self-esteem, preventing them from feeling comfortable in their own skin.
Fortunately, innovative treatment options exist to help reduce the appearance of acne marks and scars.* Read on to learn about the causes and types of acne-related pigmentation and scarring, as well as the treatment options available at CSI.*
What is acne scarring and hyperpigmentation and why does it occur?
Acne scarring results from the healing process that occurs following breakouts that damage the skin and the tissue beneath it. Hyperpigmentation occurs when acne inflammation causes the skin to produce more melanin, which makes the skin appear darker in those areas.
Types of acne marks and scarring:
- Raised scars
- Depressed scars
- Ice Pick
- Dark spots
- Red spots
There are several factors that can lead to acne scarring:
- For some individuals, genetics can play a role
- Improper extraction techniques like picking, popping or squeezing
- Severe inflammatory acne, which includes cysts and nodules
- Delaying treatment or not treating acne
A wide variety of therapies and technologies can be applied to improve the appearance of acne scars and pigmentation. Your doctor will evaluate your skin to determine which treatment is best suited to your skin type and aesthetic goals.*
Some of the different treatment options offered at CSI include:
- Topical Treatments – Mild scarring and hyperpigmentation may be improved with a topical product such as a retinoid or the Glycolic Elite 20% Facial Cream which lightens, exfoliates, and smooths the skin.*
- Face masks and peels like the TCA Peel are available in various concentrations that exfoliate the top layer of skin to reveal more even tone and texture.*
- Dermabrasion – DermaSweep Microdermabrasion uses an adjustable bristled hand piece to exfoliate dead skin cells that tend to dull the complexion.*
- Microneedling – MicroPen Microneedling is performed with a hand-held device that has a disposable set of tiny needles at the tip to stimulate the skin’s collagen production and increase absorption of serums or products that are applied during the treatment.*
- Laser Treatments – Clear & Brilliant is designed to stimulate the body’s collagen production and lessen hyperpigmentation for a more even skin tone and texture with minimal to no downtime.*
- Subcision is a minimally-invasive surgical method of releasing the tether underlying a depressed scar, resulting in elevation of the scar.* This method may be combined with Fraxel Dual® Lasers to enhance the outcome.*
- Dermal fillers – Bellafill is a long-lasting filler that adds volume to depressed acne scars.* This filler is a potential solution for pitted scars that may not respond to chemical peels or laser treatments.*
Explore additional acne scar treatments available at CSI*:
- N-Lite Pulsed Dye Laser
- CO2 Laser
- Fraxel Repair
- Q-Switched ND YAG Laser
- Gemini Laser
- Ultrapulse CO2 Laser
If you suffer from acne scarring or pigmentation, schedule a consultation today to learn about your treatment options.* Throughout the month of August, patients receive 15% off all CSI acne products, acne facials and peels.
*Individual results may vary and are not guaranteed.