Hair plays a vital role in how we look and how others perceive us. It’s such an interesting aspect of our appearance, because it can communicate so many things with subtle, but instantaneous cues. As such, many patients who visit California Skin Institute would like to either increase or decrease the amount of hair they have. Some would like to lower a receding hairline or fill in volume due to hair thinning. Others want to get rid of body hair because they’ve grown tired of waxing and shaving. The one thing that unites all of these patients, however, is a desire to match their outward appearance to their self-image.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the methodologies that can be used by CSI providers to address such concerns.
Get Rid of Unwanted Hair
This time of year is typically when we see a large influx of patients who would like to get rid of unwanted hair. There is good reason for this; summer is just a few months away, which brings with it vacations and trips to the beach. And, of course, who doesn’t want to look their best in their swimsuit? (That includes men, too.)
To help patients remove unwanted hair, California Skin Institute providers will typically perform laser hair removal treatments. During the procedure, a laser is fired into the skin to heat up and destroy hair follicles. Other skin structures remain largely unharmed because the laser beams target melanin in the hair follicle.
There are several things to keep in mind about laser hair removal:
- Because the laser targets melanin, darker hair is easier to treat than lighter hair.
- You will need several treatments, because hair grows in cycles. Only actively growing hair can be targeted during the procedure because it has sufficient melanin.
- It’s beneficial to start the process several months before vacation season, because the treatment temporarily weakens the skin’s natural ability to defend against UV rays. Therefore, you don’t want to be out in the sun too soon after treatment.
- Excessive amounts of hair in women can also be a sign of a hormonal imbalance. In such cases, it’s important to address the underlying issue as well.
Increasing Eyelash Volume and Length
We find that one of the least talked-about topics is the appearance of eyelashes. You’ve probably seen many commercials for mascara that claims to volumize lashes and make them appear longer. This can certainly work for many women, but not in all situations.
In some cases, the patient has very short and thin lashes that simply won’t grow. No amount of mascara will help. For most men, the makeup solution is simply not viable.
In such cases, your California Skin Institute provider can help with prescription treatments like Latisse. Over time, lashes can increase in volume and length, to create a more balanced appearance around the eyes.
Both men and women can suffer from hair loss in their lifetime. For men, the issue tends to present itself as a receding hairline. In women, hair loss manifests as a decrease in hair density and overall hair thinning.
In such cases, California Skin Institute providers can offer several options:
- Hair replacement surgery: This involves taking healthy hair follicles from on part of the scalp and implanting them into areas of hair loss. We are experts when it comes to implanting the follicles at the correct angle and spacing the implants in a way that produces a natural appearance.
- PRP: Our providers can also offer platelet rich plasma treatments for hair loss. During the procedure, your own PRP is applied to the treatment site, a process that infuses the area with proteins to stimulate hair growth.
Schedule Your Consultation
Whether you want to have more hair or less hair, California Skin Institute providers can help. We have worked very hard to foster a patient-centric culture that focuses on your needs and goals. When you visit us, we will take the time to listen to your concerns, answer your questions, and help you develop a customized treatment plan.