Facial Implant Surgery
Facial implant surgery is a way to add permanent volume and shape to parts of the face by inserting durable implants under the skin. Here at California Skin Institute we see a lot of patients who feel that certain features, like the cheeks, chin, nose or temporal areas are too small or hollow, and don’t create sufficient balance or contour. In some cases, these can be caused by genetic factors, while others may be the result of previous injury. In either situation, your California Skin Institute may suggest facial implants as a means for correcting the problem. The implants are made from high grade materials that are compatible with your body and will not be rejected by the immune system. Further, implants used by California Skin Institute surgeons won’t just look proportional, but will also feel natural to the touch.
Facial Implant Surgery
California Skin Institute providers can perform facial implants on many parts of the face. During the procedure, your surgeon will make a small incision near the implant site and will then carefully position the implant in place. To achieve a result that looks and feels natural, the implant is positioned onto the bone, so that when you are touching your face you will only feel your skin and the underlying muscle structures. The most common facial implant treatment areas include:
- Cheeks: Our surgeons can use cheek implants to give the face more contour and definition. Typically, the implant does not have to be very large to provide the desired effect, as a lift of even a few millimeters can dramatically increase contour in the face and correct sunken cheeks.
- Chin: Although the chin accounts for a relatively small portion of the face, its appearance is vital when it comes to balancing the forehead and the mid face region. A small chin, or one that seems to disappear into the neck, can create a weak appearance in the face. A carefully-sized chin implant that is expertly positioned onto the chin can create more contour and give the face stronger definition.
- Jaw: The jaw is distinctly different from the chin, and may need to be widened in order to create more definition and better balance between the forehead and the jaw. This procedure can be performed concurrently with a chin implant, or separately, if the chin already has sufficient size and shape. A jaw implant carried out by a California Skin Institute surgeon can create a broader jaw line that looks natural and proportionate to the rest of the face.
- Nose: California Skin Institute surgeons can use nose implants to enhance the size and shape of a small nose, or to reconstruct a nose that has sustained significant injury.
- Temporal Implants: Temporal implants are a solution for individuals who are experiencing the hollowing of the temples due to age. One of the more common ways to treat hollow temples is through injection of dermal fillers. However, although fillers can provide powerful results with no downtime, the effects are not permanent. For virtually permanent results, California Skin Institute providers can use temporal implants to create volume in the temples and create a smoother facial contour.
How fast will Facial Implant Results Appear?
Results from facial implant surgery will be instantaneous. However, it may take several weeks for the treatment area to fully heal and for the implant to become permanently situated, as the tissues heal around it. This can take several weeks or months, depending on the type of the surgery.
For best results, it is vital to avoid strenuous activity until the treatment site has fully healed and your surgeon has cleared you to return to normal activities. This can take several weeks, depending on which facial implant procedure is being performed.
However, patients can typically return to work much sooner, approximately one week after the procedure.
Facial Implant Side Effects
Side effects from facial implants are minimal, as California Skin Institute surgeons only use high grade implants made with materials that won’t be rejected by your body. Although their occurrence is low, side effects may include infection and possible fracturing of the implant due to injury (such as falling). To reduce the possibility of infection, it is vital to follow all after care instructions given to you by your surgeon.
To learn more about facial implants and what the procedure can do for you, please contact one of the California Skin Institute practices listed below, or fill out the Contact Form to schedule your consultation.